Saturday, February 17, 2018

Ozzy Osbourne Discusses Playing "Blizzard of Ozz" Live for 40th Anniversary



It has become a trend in recent years for a high profile artist who has been in the spotlight for decades to some times when a big anniversary for an iconic album of theirs comes up play it in its entirety live. Another one of those anniversaries is coming up in a couple of years, this time for Ozzy Osbourne's debut solo album The Blizzard of Ozz.

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone Osbourne was asked about the possibility of paying such a tribute to his most beloved album, to which he responded:

"That was the thing for a while, to play the whole album, but I don't write albums that way, so no. When I make an album, I specifically record songs that I'll never do on the stage.

Like on Blizzard of Ozz, there are songs that I wrote never to play live, because the production was too heavy.

I always do a ballady song, I always like to do a rock song and I like to do what I call album tracks. And I'll do the ballady songs and the rock songs onstage, but the album tracks are just too over the top. But I suppose I could do one."

Personally I think if Ozzy REALLY wanted to he could pull off Blizzard of Ozz in its entirety live. The production on that album wasn't so heavy that the right group of musicians and stage production crew couldn't find a way to make it happen.

Also, I find it amusing how he claims to write the songs on his albums when anyone who knows even a lick of Ozzy history knows that Ozzy has written very few of the songs he has ever performed. It's always been the other musicians like Bob Daisley in his solo band or Geezer Butler in Black Sabbath.

That said, I can't say I blame Ozzy for not wanting to jump on a bandwagon. I have never known Ozzy to be a copycat of anyone else. While he may not be the best musician around, he has always been one of the most unique. He is his own performer. Always has been, always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment