Sunday, February 4, 2018

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #151

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. The Machine, by Motion Device

The further on this young Canadian metal band fronted by a teenage girl goes, the more interesting and creative they get. This song sort of has a Dream Theater vibe to it, honestly. Also, I am MUCH more impressed by the quality of the lyrics of this song than I have been by original material I have heard from them in the past. They have definitely become more seasoned musicians and have upped their game big time.




2. Being a Gentleman (Gets You Nowhere), by Crisis Cage

I wrote this song when I was a strapping young lad of 19 years old. A very angry and hormonal young man, was I. What better way to channel my feelings about being taken advantage of by a girl I liked at the time than by writing a song about it? Oddly enough, as simplistic as this song was it became one of our favorites to play at practice and live when we were still together in this band. I do have fond memories of pounding at those chords.




3. I'm Gonna Stop Drinking Again, by Paice Ashton Lord

Once in a blue moon you might come across an LP from a group you might not have ever heard of had you not already been digging around the internet for stuff relating to bands you already like (in this case, for me it was Deep Purple). I discovered Paice Ashton Lord's only album Malice in Wonderland a while back and was pleasantly surprised by just how fantastic the songs were. It's a shame that they weren't around to do another couple of albums, but they all went on to do bigger and better things.




4. Monday Morning, by Fleetwood Mac

On a happier note, this has to be one of the absolute best songs the iconic Fleetwood Mac line-up ever put out. It's the first track of the first album they did together and it tells you almost everything you need to know about them. It's full of charming melodies, luscious vocal harmonies, and a rhythm that makes you feel just plain good. Honestly, I really don't know why this song doesn't get all that much airplay considering how bright and catchy it is.




5. Public Enemy #1, by Motley Crue

This has to be my all time favorite Motley Crue song. I was hoping and praying that they would play it on their farewell tour when I saw them, but sadly this did not come to pass. They don't seem to care that much about their first album and it makes me sad. It's chocked full of gems that are just waiting and begging to be rediscovered by the general public. This song in particular has so many great guitar melodies and the vocals are just dynamite. Definitely worth checking out.



No comments:

Post a Comment