Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Eric Clapton Going Deaf



Blues master Eric Clapton sadly is progressing ever forward into old age, and thus dealing with some of the problems that come with being an older rock star. Aside from having chronic nerve problems that affect his hands and back, recently Clapton announced he is dealing with tinnitus and is thus going deaf.

For those of you who don't know, tinnitus is a hearing problem that is caused by prolonged exposure to excessive noise. This is something not at all uncommon to rock n' rollers who have been playing loud shows for a number of decades.

In a recent interview with BBC Radio 2 Clapton talks about the condition and what his current plans are, saying:

"I am still going to work. I'm doing a few gigs. The only thing I'm concerned with now is being in my 70s and being able to be proficient. I mean, I'm going deaf; I've got tinnitus. My hands just about work. I mean, I am hoping that people will come along and see me [for] more than [because] I am a curiosity. I know that is part of it, because it’s amazing to myself that I am still here."

I hope for Clapton's sake he can keep making the music that he and many of us love for as long as he still can. He has definitely earned the semi-retirement. After 5+ decades of bluesing around the world and recording masterpiece after masterpiece he doesn't need to do big tours any more. As long as Clapton can play what he wants when he wants, that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment