Thursday, October 12, 2017

Op-Ed Piece: Eddie Van Halen the Most Over Rated Guitar Player Ever?

Photo courtesy of Project EVH


Over the years guitarist Eddie Van Halen of the band Van Halen has made the top of many people's lists of best guitar players of all time. He changed the game overnight the day that the song Eruption from Van Halen's debut album Van Halen first hit people's speakers. From there on out everyone was trying to copy his technique and be just like him because no one (as far as most people knew/know) had ever done anything like that before. However, I'm not exactly sharing in those sentiments and kind of think Eddie Van Halen is the most over rated guitar player of all time.

I know. That sounds like a sacrilege to many of you. Before you come at me with your torches and pitchforks however, hear me out. I do have some valid reasons for feeling the way that I do (even though in reality this is all just opinion and is completely subjective).

Let's start with the two handed tapping technique that Eddie made famous in Eruption. Many people credit him with the creation of this method when in reality he did not. The technique had actually been around for quite some time before Van Halen used it. In fact, guitarist Brian May from Queen had already been using it well before Van Halen did.

That said, I'll give credit where it's due. Van Halen did make the technique the staple in many guitarists' skill books that it is today with his particular utilization of it. The way he used it to make such long, flowing classical melodies is impressive.

However, aside from Eruption and maybe Spanish Fly Van Halen's technique and songwriting is really not all that innovative. Most of it is just glossy straightforward pop rock that we have all heard a lot of before. Maybe it was done with their particular brand on it, but it was all still blues based pop rock that blended in with the rest of what was popular at the time.

I could come up with a list right now of quite a few guitar players who are more technically skilled than Eddie Van Halen and are more clever and innovative song writers. In fact, I'll throw down a short list right now for you to check out when you have the time (if you haven't heard of some of them already):

Jimi Hendrix
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Frank Zappa
Buckethead
Steve Morse
John Petrucci
Paul Gilbert
Bumblefoot
Jason Becker
Marty Friedman
Ritchie Blackmore
Tosin Abassi
Jeff Beck

I know it sounds like I hate Eddie Van Halen, but in all honesty I don't. I LOVE his stuff. I've been a huge Van Halen fan ever since I was a kid. I idolized him just as much as everyone else for a while, but I guess as I got older and started listening to more stuff I realized there is a whole world of great guitar players out there that are much more skilled and creative. Eddie just kind of stays in his pop rock box where it's safe. It doesn't make him a bad musician by any means, but it doesn't make him the most innovative one either.

Do any of you agree with me? Do you feel that I'm full of cock-a-dookie and should shut my pie hole for disrespecting the greatest guitar player to ever live (in your opinion)? Why don't you send a comment my way and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment