Saturday, September 2, 2017

Bumblefoot on His Departure From Guns N' Roses

Photo courtesy of Blabbermouth


When Bumblefoot left the modern incarnation of Guns N' Roses back in 2014 it took many fans who had been following for a while aback. It wasn't entirely clear as to what the reason for the departure was, but recently the former lead guitarist has opened up on the issue some more.

In an interview with WRIF (via Blabbermouth), Bumblefoot says:

“I need to be super-creative. I’m not the kind of utility that you hire and he plays and gets paid, and that’s it. It has to grow. After eight years in Guns I looked at it and said, ‘Am I doing what I want to do?’ I felt like anyone could have doing what I was doing at that point, and it didn’t have to be me.

And if I wasn’t happy, and they knew I wasn’t happy, then I should get out and do what I’m supposed to do, and let them do what they were supposed to do. And I knew the reunion was coming, so it was like, ‘Let me get out of the way.’

I was a headcase. I cared so much. I cared too much about it, and I wanted it to be something that I knew it wasn’t ever going to be."

In regards to ever seeing the current line-up play, Bumblefoot says:

"I always describe it like going to your ex-girlfriend’s wedding. I don’t mean any disrespect and I do wish them well, and I’m happy they’re doing do good.

But for me to go and see it would just stir up a lot of stuff. I’m doing my thing, they’re doing their thing and everybody just wishes each other well from afar. I’m real happy for them – they’re on top of the world right now, so good for them.”

Honestly, I'm still glad the reunion happened. While I loved the Chinese Democracy era of Guns N' Roses it never really felt like actual Guns N' Roses to me. That line-up of the band was great in so many ways and I enjoyed watching them perform and put out new stuff, but it's the old line-up with Slash and Duff McKagan that made me fall in love with the band in the first place. As for Bumblefoot, he is one hell of a talented guitarist and I'm glad that he is out there doing what makes him happy. That dude has mad chops on a guitar and everything he does is innovative in some way or another. That said, I'll still be following both GN'R and Bumblefoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment