Saturday, August 12, 2017

Deep Purple Guitarist Steve Morse Open to One-Off Ritchie Blackmore Return

Photo courtesy of Vintage Guitar Magazine


Deep Purple has probably gone through more line-up changes than any other famous rock n' roll band in history. Members of the band are often coming and going, including founding guitarist Ritchie Blackmore. Since his final split with the band in 1993 however, a lot of tension between him and the band has fluctuated. However, current guitarist Steve Morse who has been with the band for over 20 years at this point feels that a one-off reunion would be a good idea.

In a recent interview with Billboard, Morse talks about how he feels it would be a great way for fans and the band itself to get closure, if only psychological barriers could be broken through. Morse says:

“Well, he's one of the founding members. Fans would love it. It would be nice, I think, to see closure with everybody involved and the bad feelings put aside. I think they'd all get a kick out of it if they could get past the psychological barriers. I am a fan of music, I'm a musician. I am not a politician.

Now, a lot of people would feel intimidated, to have somebody come who's likely to play over them, standing in front of them and stealing the spotlight or whatever. But I thought, ‘A lot of people would love to see this.’

And at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction, I thought Ritchie Blackmore was going to show up. He could've played three songs, but I ended up doing them because he didn't. That was up in the air.

The ice has to be broken, but I think that once that's done, they'd all have a great time. But I don't know how to go about doing that. Anyway, as far as I am concerned, all members, past and present and future of Deep Purple, are welcome.”

Blackmore himself has stated that he would be open to doing such a reunion, but the band's management would never have it. I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm not sure how I would feel about Blackmore reuniting with Deep Purple in any capacity. Deep Purple songs in order to perform and not just play them require a certain level of fire and passion in your heart and hands. Blackmore seems to lack that these days, most likely due to age and being bored with the music. I honestly feel that Morse brings back that kick in the pants that Deep Purple needs and plays those songs better than Blackmore would these days, even if their playing styles are distinctly different.

No comments:

Post a Comment