Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie: "Life Outside of Music Had No Meaning"



Before re-entering the fold of Fleetwood Mac after a 16 year absence, keyboardist Christine McVie says the years spent alone in retirement sent her into a dark place until she sought the aid of a psychiatric professional.

McVie had left the band in 1998 before making a full time return in 2014 after a handful of guest appearances. Drummer Mick Fleetwood incidentally suggested a meeting to her right before she went to go visit him herself. In a recent interview with Jam, McVie discusses the whole situation, saying:

“I think in my mind I was playing the role of the retired rich lady in the country, baking cookies, raising my two dogs and driving my Range Rover. That kind of world ended up being inconsequential in the end – just nothing. It didn’t have any meaning at all, which slowly led to a bit of a dark place for me. I became very isolated.

I went to a great psychiatrist who got rid of my fear of flying, and made me buy a ticket to Maui to visit Mick. But I didn’t even have to do that because Mick phoned me. This is where serendipity comes in. “He said, ‘I’m coming to England, Chris – are you going to be there?’ I said, ‘Yes, I am. Where else would I be?’ And he says, ‘Wait for me, and we can both fly back together.’ So that’s what happened. I ended up playing in his little blues band in Maui and I got the bug.”

I know a lot of people often think that rock stars come back from retirement because they have run out of or just want more money. In McVie's case however, I really feel that her need to perform and write with Fleetwood Mac again was a genuine personal need. I am glad that she finally got back with and recompleted such an iconic band. It's a shame they're retiring as a group soon, but I'm sure she will still keep busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment