Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Ace Frehley Reveals Further Details of Gene Simmons Collab



It was recently made public that former Kiss lead guitarist Ace Frehley had his former band mate founding bassist and vocalist Gene Simmons collaborate with him on two songs for his upcoming solo record. This is the first time they have written together since 1998's Kiss release Psycho Circus. Simmons made the announcement, but now Frehley has weighed in with further details.

In a recent interview with Eddie Trunk, Frehley describes how it all went down, saying:

“I just shot him an e-mail and said, ‘C’mon, let’s write some songs together for my new record. Next thing you know, he’s down here [at my house in Rancho Santa Fe, California] and within three hours we had written two songs together, which was, like, a record, for me and him. We ate in the backyard while I was watering my palm trees. [Laughs] He was going to [my fiancée] Rachel, ‘This is something new I’ve never seen before.’ He’s eating a sandwich and I’m watering a palm tree in my backyard. But it was a lot of fun.

Once the dining and gardening was done, we just started jamming. We initially each picked up an acoustic guitar. I don’t remember who came up with the beginning of the song. One guy plays one thing and then I play another thing. I think Gene actually came up with more ideas than I did and I just kind of complemented them. And then I started writing lyrics for a song title, which I don’t wanna give away yet. And then we kind of took a break and then he started playing this bass line and said, ‘Ace, play these three chords against it,’ and within thirty minutes we had a second song. I was really pleased, and so was he.”

To me it sounds like Simmons and Frehley definitely had some fun working together again for the first time in almost two decades. I doubt there will be an official Kiss reunion any time in the foreseeable future (you saw how it went the last time they tried that), but at least the two of them seem to have mended their friendship enough to at least jam together and hang out. I'm stoked to hear what the two of them came up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment