Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Former Kiss Drummer Peter Criss: "Rock is Over"



It looks like another member (or rather former member in this case) of Kiss in addition to Gene Simmons has jumped on the whole 'rock is dead' bandwagon. This time it is original drummer Peter Criss.

In an interview with Hi Fi Way Criss discusses his experience of being around from the genesis of rock n' roll until now and says that the genre is over because of the way things have gone. Criss says:

“I’ve been around since the day that the Beatles were onstage, I’ve been around when music was Motown … I’ve been around! What’s going on today ain’t my cup of tea. The ’60s and ’70s were the times to be around. I saw Jimi Hendrix, I saw the real Who, the real Zeppelin, the Beatles and seen the Stones many times now that I know them and we’re friends. Over the years a lot has happened to me and I got to see all these great acts, and what I see today doesn’t rock my cradle and doesn’t do anything for me and I don’t care for a lot of the music.

We were early pioneers and no one was doing that when we started out. Now everyone does it, so it isn’t big news anymore. It’s time for me to get off the train as it’s not a great ride anymore. I don’t go out to concerts much anymore because I don’t enjoy myself because I get constantly harassed, people with phones wanting to take pictures, I can’t really sit and enjoy the concert or have a good time so I’m more of a homebody these days. The world has changed, my friend.”

If you ask me, Criss sounds like just another cranky old man who is upset because things aren't like the way they used to be. Yeah, rock n' roll isn't the huge chart topping genre it once was but it is far from dead. You still have tons of big name artists touring and making albums all the time. Plus, there is plenty of fresh talent if you know where to look. Rival Sons, The Black Keys, Jack White, Halestorm, and countless other newer artists from after the 80's are making great rock n' roll all the time. You might have to dig for it, but it's there.

As for the vibe at concerts, get over it. There is nothing wrong with people wanting to snap a few pictures to help remember the experience. I don't think they should stand with their phones out the whole time, but give people a break if for a quick moment they want to get something to take home with them as a memento; especially for the prices people have to pay to get into shows to begin with these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment