Monday, January 16, 2017

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #101

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Dead!, by My Chemical Romance

This has been one of my favorite MCR tunes for a while because it blends a lot of really heavy classic punk with some nuances of classic rock here and there. The moment those drums come pounding in and that blistering guitar solo tears it up, you know you're in for one hell of a wild ride. The way the song flows and progresses into a more grandiose and somewhat slowed down end though is absolutely magnificent and majestic. The incorporation of horns is also a nice touch.



2.  We Ran Out of CD Space, by Psychostick

Psychostick is one of the absolute greatest comedy metal bands to ever exist. Songs like this are exactly why. All it is is just them doing an acoustic ballad where they are singing random (though admittedly awesome) crap just to fill up the last of the CD space left available to them on the album they were recording at the time. I won't give away the ending of the song, but it ends in the best way for a song like this to end possible.
 


3. Why Don't We Do It in the Road, by The Beatles

The Beatles in their day came up with a lot of wild and occasionally random and silly stuff. I think this tune in particular is a prime example of that. To be fair though, there is actual meaning behind the song. Paul McCartney saw two monkeys doing it in the road in India and it was done rather quickly and no one thought anything of it. He was kind of taken aback by how cool everyone was about it and therefore wrote a song about the idea.



4. Brain Damage, by Pink Floyd

As years have gone by I've been able to relate to certain aspects of this tune a bit more. Well that and quite a few other Pink Floyd songs as well. While I always enjoyed Pink Floyd for their musicianship, it wasn't until I became more of a grown man that I really started to understand what they were talking about in many of their songs and started being able to relate to a noticeable amount of the lyrical content myself.



5. 500 Miles, by The Proclaimers

To end this week's post on a more cheery note, I figured I'd throw this one in. It's always made me feel a little better even when I'm feeling the most down and blue. It's kind of hard not to with how upbeat and cheery it is. Almost makes you feel like getting right up out of your chair and march. Plus, those thick Scottish accents add all the more charm to it and make you want to listen to it over and over and over again for years to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment