Thursday, October 6, 2016

Whitesnake's David Coverdale Not to Retire in 2017



Back in April during an interview with Rolling Stone, Whitesnake and former Deep Purple front man David Coverdale (who is now 65) stated that he might retire in 2017 as a way to go out with a bang on the 30th anniversary of the band's 1987 hit Whitesnake/1987. However, it would seem the ever charismatic singer has changed his mind on the whole thing.

In a recent interview with Vorterix Radio, Coverdale goes into detail about how the recent tour for The Purple Album left him feeling revitalized and nowhere close to wanting to hang up his mic and call it a day, saying:

“I made the mistake of saying to a friend of mine, a journalist, ‘This could be an interesting last project for me to finish as I started.’ It was kind of a foolish thing for me to say. My co-producer looked at me like I was fucking crazy. Then we went on an incredibly successful tour, which we’re finishing up editing for spring next year.

When I was mixing The Purple Album I’m going, ‘Man, how long do I have to do this?’ But in essence it’s re-energised me. I was totally honest – I thought, ‘This is probably it.’ But I had an incredibly good time on tour with my musicians. It just makes it more inspiring to look at the future for new stuff with these guys. I have no desire to hang up my rock’n’roll sneakers just yet.”

Somehow I'm not surprised that Coverdale is calling off his retirement for the time being. He still seems rather energetic and youthful despite his somewhat advanced age. In all honesty though, I wonder how many singing years he really has left considering how worn out his voice is at this point. He definitely doesn't have the timbre or range he once had. Don't get me wrong, he still puts on a good show and sounds good on records, but he definitely isn't a spring chicken any more in that department.

No comments:

Post a Comment