Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Playing Live Means Nothing to The Who's Pete Townshend



In recent years it's become rather clear that Pete Townshend, guitar player and song writer for The Who does not seem to derive any pleasure from touring any more. In fact, he hates it. Recently he has added onto that thought saying he feels that it's a scam.

In an interview with The Guardian, Townshend goes into how he feels about having played at the Desert Trip Festival with The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, and plenty of other big name rock acts from yesteryear and today, saying:

"I’m such a boring fucker. It means nothing to me. I would be a liar if I said, ‘It was really fun, man. It was great!’ It wasn’t great. It was a gig. I did it and I got paid. The fact is, I don’t really like performing. But I’m good at it. I’m lucky to be good at something.

I could have worked in an abattoir. I don’t get high on stage. I might come off stage and look in the mirror and go, ‘Hee hee,’ but it’s mischievous. It’s, ‘What a load of crap. We pulled off another scam.’"


I know I've said this before, but I think saying stuff like that publicly is probably not in the band's best interest. I know he despises his band and performing, but maybe he should save all that till after the tour is over so that the ticket sales don't drop and the fans that do come don't feel let down before the show even begins. I know I wouldn't want to go to a show where the performers actually hate what they're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment