Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Metallica Lead Guitarist Kirk Hammett Leaves "Unforgiven" Solo Alone


 


It's not an uncommon practice for a guitarist to do their solos differently than they did in the recorded version of a song when performing live. Some times though, there is a solo that is so iconic that it would be a crime in the minds of many (including the guitarist who wrote the solo) to ever do anything to change it. Metallica guitarist Kirk Hammett is no exception to this, especially with the big Metallica hit The Unforgiven.

In an interview with Classic Rock, Hammett talks in detail about his love for The Unforgiven's solo and how he would never want to change the way he plays it, saying:

"I enjoy playing the solo on The Unforgiven because it's such a dynamic solo. And a lot of times live, I'll change around my guitar solo because I end up not liking what I recorded, or I get bored with what was recorded – or I just want to play something completely different.

But with The Unforgiven, as a guitar solo it has changed very little over the years. It's probably one of the only guitar solos that I play just like the album."

To be fair I can understand why Hammett wouldn't want to change the solo. It's almost like it's its own song in itself and is quite a grand large scale production. A lot of the best guitar solos have that quality to them. A few others like that in my opinion would be: Sweet Child O' Mine, Smoke on the Water, Comfortably Numb, Crazy Train, etc. Changing even one note would be a massive offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment