Thursday, October 13, 2016

Lego Has Beatles Yellow Submarine Kit Headed Your Way

 
 
You read right. I'm not making this up. Lego has a Beatles Yellow Submarine kit coming out (though quite frankly to no surprise except at the fact that this didn't happen sooner) on November 1st.

The set brick-ifying this classic sub-aquatic vehicle which won 10,000 votes on Lego's Ideas site is made up of 550 pieces and features figures of all four Beatles appearing the way they did in the Yellow Submarine film in 1968. The set has been given a recommended retail price of around $60 US.
 
In an explanation on Lego's Ideas page, designer Kevin Szetzo describes the reason and motivation for creating the tribute to the Fab Four, saying:
 
“As an amateur musician and songwriter, I have always been drawn to the music of the Beatles. The creation of the Yellow Submarine model was really my way of showing my affection for the Beatles, as well as trying to pay a small tribute to the Beatles phenomenon. The Yellow Submarine is bright, fun, and colorful, which also made it a good subject to translate into Lego form.”

Designer Justin Ramsden contributed also, saying:

“I€ watched€ the€ film€ when€ I€ was€ younger€ and€ was €really €inspired€ by €how €it €oozed€ so€ much€ imagination€ –€ comparable€ to€ how€ I€ view€ Lego€ elements. I’m €also €a €massive €fan €of €the€ Beatles, ˆ€having €grown€ up€ with €their €music€ all€ my €life, ˆ€so €to €see €the €Beatles €in €Lego €form €is€ a €dream €come €true.”
 
On the one hand, I think it's cool that such a set is finally coming out (as I've been a pretty big Lego fan since I was a kid). On the other though, I think this is just further selling out of Lego. When I was a kid Lego didn't have to make sets of pre-existing franchises to stay relevant, cool, and lucrative. Legos were awesome on their own and the series of sets they came up with were plenty imaginative and fun. I personally found it more fun to make Star Wars stuff or whatever using the pieces I had rather than buy a kit of what I wanted to make. All that ranting aside though, I still wouldn't mind getting this kit (if I can ever afford it).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment