Monday, October 10, 2016

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #92

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. I am the Walrus, by The Beatles

The Beatles in the latter part of their career came up with (to put it mildly) some rather strange stuff. Gone were the peppy, bubble gummy pop tunes they wrote as the four mop tops. As a result of all the drugs they started taking they decided to go a much more peculiar, creative, and progressive route with their music. Nowhere is this more prevalent than the hailed iconic stoner classic I am the Walrus, based loosely on C.S. Lewis's Alice in Wonderland. 


2.  Trouble (2014), by Bernie Marsden featuring David Coverdale

In 2014 one of Whitesnake's original axe men Bernie Marsden put out a new solo record titled Shine. On this record Marsden roped in his former band mate and leader David Coverdale to sing the first song the two of them had ever written together, but updated for 2014. It still sounds as raw and powerful as it did back then, though a bit less shiny and a bit more punchy. Certain parts of the arrangement are different, but overall it is still the amazing (if not more so now) song that it was back in 1978.


3. Post Office Buddy, by Buckethead

I still have a bone to pick with Mr. Brian Carroll after ending the show only halfway through when I saw him last April, but that by no stretch of the imagination means I like his music any less than I did before. This particular song is just about as creepy as you can get without it being an actual movie. In fact, it kind of is a movie in the way the tension and suspense grows with each phone call and the riffs getting more and more intense as the song progresses. The best part though is the tail end. You'll see what I mean.


4. Fire, by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

I absolutely LOVE it when a guitar and bass play the same melody and meld together seamlessly. That multi-layer sound just hits me the right way every time. The Jimi Hendrix Experience was good at doing stuff like that, and a prime experience of that is in their lesser played hit Fire from their debut album Are You Experienced?. It's an upbeat moving and grooving tune that you can really bob your head and move to. Definitely some of Hendrix's best work in an overall group setting.


5. Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, by Jim Croce

Probably one of Croce's best known tunes. It's definitely been a favorite of mine for a long while. I haven't always been his biggest fan, but I've noticed in more recent years just how many of his songs I've come to like. Of course you can never go wrong with a swingy upbeat song about an outlaw from the baddest part of the south side of Chicago. It's a fun singalong that is easy enough to pick up on if nothing else 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment