Thursday, September 1, 2016

Glenn Hughes Turned Down Offer to Be Part of New Rainbow Line-Up



Former Deep Purple and Rainbow guitarist Ritchie Blackmore shocked many of his fans across the globe earlier this Summer when for three shows he returned to rock n' roll after nearly two decades of only Renaissance music with a new line-up of Rainbow. These performances were quite stellar, especially with unknown singer Ronnie Romero. However, what we didn't know until just now is that former Deep Purple vocalist and bassist Glenn Hughes was invited to join the group but turned down Blackmore's offer.

In an interview with Hard Rock Haven, Hughes goes into a bit of detail as to why he turned down what was probably a once in a life time opportunity to reunite with the man in black for the first time and probably only time since 1975, saying:

“He asked me to do it with him. And I said ‘no’ because he wanted to, funny enough, he wanted to use an unknown singer. I said, ‘It’s not me. It’s not me to do that.’ I’ve done that with David, and it was good.

I don’t want to do it again. I said very eloquently, ‘No thank you. I really would like to see you, but I can’t do this at the point where I am right now.’”

Personally, I have two different opinions on Hughes's decision to turn Blackmore down. My first one is: "WHAT THE #$@% WERE YOU THINKING, MAN?!?". Are you that full of yourself that you are going to turn down this enormous opportunity for you and your fans because you refuse to play with someone and be semi-backseat just because they aren't high up in public profile? Seems a little selfish and big headed to me. However, when I try to put myself in Hughes's shoes I sort of get where he is coming from. He doesn't want to have anyone take David Coverdale's place in terms of that kind of experience he had. It wouldn't feel right to him. I sort of get it, but at the same time I still can't believe that that outweighed the benefits of what could have come of this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment