Monday, September 26, 2016

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week #90

5 Songs to Get You Through the Week is a feature I run on Young Ears, Fresh Perspective on Sundays/early hours of Monday morning where I pick out 5 tunes that I think are notable and tell you a bit about them. The point is to give you some rocking music to help you deal with your weekday blues. You can either listen to one each day, listen to them all at once, or any other combination that you feel. As long as you can get through the week without the man getting you down, that's all I care about. Without further ado, here are the 5 tracks I've picked out for this week:

1. Hybrid Moments, by The Misfits

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Glenn Danzig is the best at being Evil Elvis. This sounds a lot like a 50's croon, but the band sounds so incredibly heavy that it takes the type of fun music we remember from that time period and just blasts it to a whole other level. I won't lie, if there was a sock hop and they were playing tunes like this I would actually put on my leather jacket, go, dance, and have a good time.



2. Heavy, by Glenn Hughes

Vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes is about to put out his first solo album in 8 years Resonate on November 4th. To get us all revved and ready for this release he has dropped a music video for the first single titled Heavy. It definitely lives up to its name. It's not the heaviest piece of music I've heard in my whole life, but it's the heaviest rock song I have ever heard him get behind the mic on if you don't count any of his work with Tony Iommi.



3. Into the Night, by Graham Bonnet Band

Former Rainbow and Michael Schenker Group vocalist Graham Bonnet has been rather busy lately too. He is also about ready to put out a new album with a brand new band he has put together. This definitely has some tones of his older work, but with a bit of a more modern edge to it. I like the video because it's one of those 360 videos that have been slowly working there way into the spotlight where you can click on the video, drag it, and see what's going on in a circle.



4.  Fool For Your Loving, by Whitesnake

Ever have a woman/man who has treated you just so crappy but always managed to somehow bring you back in until it got to a point where you were fed up with at all and were a fool for their loving no more? There are others who have felt your pain and this song is just for you and those other folks. There is a more metal version with Steve Vai playing guitar on it, but personally I think this original version is more warm, soulful, and organic.



5.  Clint Eastwood, by Gorillaz

This song is what got me into Gorillaz in the first place about 10 years ago. Rap usually isn't my style, but the lyrics are introspective and clever and I'm quite fond of the melodic vocal hook that acts as the chorus. There is a bit of a foreboding atmosphere to the song, but at the same time you can't help but have your spirits lifted a bit as the backing rhythm and synth kicks in. It's the good kind of cognitive distortion.

 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I heard that new track by Glenn Hughes!! Man, it blew me away. I have got to buy that album now. I've listened to his soul/R&B/funk-type voice for a few years now and it's just amazing. I have his Addiction album and will soon be in possession of his Building the Machine album. I love his music. And Whitesnake? OMG, love their music too. David Coverdale was so cute back in those days, not so much anymore, lol!! I love the fact that song sounds so much like a typical 80s hard rock song, with the screaming guitars, screaming singers, pounding drums that seem so standard of the 1980s

    ReplyDelete