Thursday, August 25, 2016

Metallica Lead Guitarist Kirk Hammett Refuses to Read Comments on New Song

 
 
Thrash metal godfathers Metallica gigantic as they are are no more exempt from the cruelty of internet comment section criticism than anyone else. Fortunately though one can always ignore that vat of puke and garbage stew. Lead guitarist Kirk Hammett has decided to take that route with the band's newest single Hardwired, which is the first one from their upcoming album Hardwired...To Self-Destruct.

Hardwired...To Self-Destruct is Metallica's first new album in 8 years (not counting their 2011 collaboration with Lou Reed: Lulu), so the wait and build-up to this song and album has been pretty high. In a recent interview with 93X, Hammett talks about how he has been handling the internet response to the song, saying:
 
“I feel the excitement, the energy in the air. We’re all kind of picking up on it. I’m getting a tremendous amount of texts from friends, saying, ‘Great song! Wonderful song! But as soon as I go onto my computer I think to myself, ‘Should I read what other people are saying? Should I read some comments?’ 
 
I instantly say to myself, ‘Don’t go there.’ Because I’ll get angry, then frustrated, then confused – and then want to write it all off as just fucking useless bullshit. ‘Why did I even waste my time?’ Having said that, I know there’s a great buzz out there and I’m totally thankful that the song is so well-received.”
 
Quite frankly I don't blame Hammett for not wanting anything to do with reading the commentary from the peanut gallery. Nothing they do is good enough for a great deal of their fans who feel like they sold out and stopped putting out anything good after the 80's. While I agree that much of the 90's and early 2000's was full of commercial crap I think they are finally starting to loop back around to the kind of music their fans actually like. I really liked Hardwired. It reminds me a lot of the Kill 'em All stuff from their early days. If the rest of the album sounds anything like that I'll be good with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment