Friday, October 2, 2015

Megadeth Premiere Single "Fatal Illusion" and Give Album Details

 
One of the pillars of the Big Four of thrash metal, Megadeth has just released a new single Fatal Illusion from their upcoming album Dystopia. The track can be listened to below.

This time around founder and front man Dave Mustaine has decided once again that the band must return to its thrash metal roots after a failed second experiment with pop rock that was their 14th album Super Collider. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. In 1999 they tried something similar with the album Risk and that turned out poorly too. That being said, seems Mustaine has again learned to stick to what he knows best.

Fatal Illusion isn't too shabby. I wouldn't say that it is especially great or memorable, but I may have to give it a few more listens before I can really form a solid opinion on it. I will say it does have a somewhat Rust in Peace kind of vibe to it. I will say that despite that it does have some pretty snazzy riffs and solos. Then again, I would expect nothing less from a Megadeth song. The only thing I'm not all that particularly fond of are Mustaine's vocals. I know he was never much of a singer to begin with, but I think age has worn them down too much. They are too gravelly and subdued in this song.

Overall though, I am still looking forward to Dystopia, which will be out on January 22, 2016 according to Ultimate Classic Rock. Changing musicians by bringing in Lamb of God drummer Chris Adler and lead guitarist Kiko Loureiro will definitely help keep things a little more fresh and lively. Hopefully the rest of the album has a bit more to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment