Thursday, May 14, 2015

Joe Satriani Reveals Release Date for New Album


Guitar wizard extraordinaire Joe Satriani has just announced that his follow-up to his 2013 release Unstoppable Momentum will be released to the public for sale on July 24th.

The yet to be released album will be titled Shockwave Supernova and it will be a concept album that focuses around Satch's alter-ego/stage persona of the same name. 15 tracks in length it was recorded last year at Skywalker sound in California with Bryan Beller bass, Marco Minnemann on drums, and Mike Keneally on keyboards and rhythm guitar. On the band he has this time around, Satch says: "I couldn’t have asked for a better band to help bring these songs to life."

On the concept of Shockwave Supernova, Satch explains:

"I had a funny thought that I use this alter ego to kind of push me out there and be a showman, because that’s not really how I am – I’m usually more the shy, retiring type. The songs I’ve been writing over the past two years sort of address that transformation, what this guy Shockwave is thinking. It’s a crazy, funny concept."

The concept behind Shockwave Supernova sounds interesting. I'm intrigued to see how Satch pulls off such a concept when at least 90% or more of his work is entirely instrumental. It's nice to see him taking a different approach to writing an album, though. Personally, I felt Unstoppable Momentum was kind of a letdown so I have higher hopes for this new album.

Shockwave Supernova can be pre-ordered on Satch's website, Amazon, and iTunes.

Shockwave Supernova track list:
  1. Lost In A Memory
  2. Crazy Joey
  3. In My Pocket
  4. On Peregrine Wings
  5. Cataclysmic
  6. San Francisco Blue
  7. Keep On Movin’
  8. All of My Life
  9. A Phase I’m Going Through
  10. Scarborough Stomp
  11. Butterfly and Zebra
  12. If There Is No Heaven
  13. Stars Race Across The Sky
  14. Goodbye Supernova

No comments:

Post a Comment