Monday, November 3, 2014

Top Drum Intros in Rock and Metal



Rhythm Magazine recently released a list of the top 10 drum intros in rock and metal. Number one was Hot For Teacher, by Van Halen. There are some pretty respectable tunes in the list, but I can't say I entirely agree with it altogether. I can think of some songs that deserve spots waaaay more than some of the ones in this list. Before I make my list, below is the results of the poll the magazine took to form their list:

Rhythm Magazine 10 Greatest Ever Drum Intros Poll Results:

1. Hot for Teacher, by Van Halen
2. The Spirit of Radio, by Rush
3. You Could Be Mine, by Guns N’ Roses
4. Rock and Roll, by Led Zeppelin
5. A Song for the Dead, by Queens of the Stone Age
6. When the Levee Breaks, by Led Zeppelin
7. Painkiller, by Judas Priest
8. Smells Like Teen Spirit, by Nirvana
9. My Hero, by Foo Fighters
10. Where Eagles Dare, by Iron Maiden

My 10 Greatest Ever Drum Intros:

1. Stargazer, by Rainbow. Drummer: Cozy Powell
2. Over the Mountain, by Ozzy Osbourne. Drummer: Lee Kerslake
3. Painkiller, by Judas Priest. Drummer: Scott Travis
4. Rock and Roll, by Led Zeppelin. Drummer: John Bonham
5. Mr. Brownstone, by Guns N' Roses. Drummer: Steven Adler
6. Hot For Teacher, by Van Halen. Drummer: Alex Van Halen
7. Pictures of Home, by Deep Purple. Drummer: Ian Paice
8. Strutter, by Kiss. Drummer: Peter Criss
9. Welcome to the Family, by Avenged Sevenfold. Drummer: Mike Portnoy
10. Open My Eyes, by Rival Sons. Drummer: Michael Miley

I do have my reasons for putting my list in the order it's in. I feel that some songs while more flashy and proficient haven't quite reached the iconic status as some of the ones listed above them. However, this is all just my personal opinion. That being said, feel free to disagree with me and post some of your favorite drum intros!

No comments:

Post a Comment