Friday, July 18, 2014

Scott Weiland Wants Velvet Revolver Reunion, But Only If It's Easy Money


It has come to the attention of the media recently that former Velvet Revolver vocalist Scott Weiland would like the band to reunite with him. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be just out of wanting to push forward and make new music with them.

In a recent interview with Canadian newspaper La Presse, Weiland says, “Velvet Revolver, there is no problem. I even called the guys to propose the idea of doing some shows together in a few months. We are on good terms, but I do not want to be a member of Velvet Revolver full-time. If possible, I would like to only play at festivals. You know, to make easy money.”

Looks like it's just a sad attempt at a cash grab. Now I understand needing money, but if you're going to take that route don't you think you would take a more subtle approach to it? How is that supposed to make the other members of the band feel? You would love to play with them, but only if it's for money?

Weiland of course knows that the band would probably not really be down for something like that because none of them are as anywhere near as in desperation for money as he is. He muses over this saying, "Dave [Kushner, guitarist] made music for TV. He made the theme of the series Sons of Anarchy. Duff [McKagan, bass] has a lot of money in the stock market. As for Slash, he put aside the money he did in the days of Guns N’ Roses. Finally, Matt [Sorum, drummer] has embarked on a package of stuff.”

To me, that kind of defeats the purpose of music altogether if it's just about cash. I personally am ALL for a VR reunion. I've missed them so badly. However, if I were to see them at a festival and they were playing only for money and no passion, I'd turn around and leave because such a show would be a waste. I and I'm sure many others would only want to see it happen as long as it was on the right terms.

Writer's Moment

I would like to take a moment here at the end to apologize for my recent extended absence and explain some things to you all. As those of you who read Young Ears, Fresh Perspective have probably noticed, I've been missing for the past week. This is due to the fact that I felt deathly ill and had no capacity to concentrate, no energy, no motivation to work, and was in no condition to bring you, the readers a quality product. I ended up getting hit with multiple ailments at once and it just sucked big time. Seriously. It was worse than listening to Justin Bieber while walking across coals and getting my back whipped simultaneously. Anyway, I'm not completely better but I've made enough progress to where I can start writing again. Again, I am REALLY sorry for such a prolonged absence. I hope it never has to come to that ever again. I know I don't have a huge readership at this point, but for those of you that do follow what I do I still humbly apologize for letting you down like this. With all that out of the way however, on with the show!

2 comments:

  1. I get the feeling Weiland never saw VR as more than a side project. As soon as STP got back together, he bolted, and now that he was kicked out of that band, he's willing to tour again, but just for the money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly agree with you. It's sad too, because VR made something really special in their day and I don't think we'll ever hear anything like that again.

      Delete